PhD position dedicated to research on improving the education about user-, societal-, and entrepreneurial aspects of engineering
Departments Eindhoven School of Education
Starting date as soon as possible
(Reference number V32.2927)
The candidate will conduct research in relation to TU/e’s educational mission to educate engineers who are able to make significant and innovative contributions to society throughout their career. More precisely, the candidate will be involved in research related to the current and future redesign efforts of the USE program (USE – User, Society and Enterprise) in the Bachelor College. With the USE program TU/e aims to make graduates aware of the mutual impact of technological interventions and innovations on the one hand and the users, society and the enterprises on the other hand. TU/e wants its students to be able to use these insights to improve their performance as engineers of the future. The ambition of the USE program at TU/e is not just to have engineering students acquire knowledge from the humanities and social sciences but to have students feed this type of knowledge into their technological designs.
The overall research question for the PhD research trajectory is how the USE courses can be appropriately (re-)designed and successfully integrated into an engineering curriculum. In this trajectory several challenges related to educating engineers for the future will need to be investigated, such as: succesful integration of non-engineering or social science domains in engineering education; engaging a heterogeneous group of students; integration and assessment of skills in the program. The PhD-trajectory will take an educational design research approach.
The research will be conducted under the assignment of the TU/e Bachelor College and the 4TU Centre for Engineering Education, who sponsor the study. As such, it is expected that the candidate will present the research during activities organised by both gremia.
The candidate will be appointed at the Eindhoven School of Education (ESoE). This is the centre of expertise of Eindhoven University of Technology regarding the professional development of (student) teachers in the domain of science and engineering education, both in secondary and higher education. ESoE’s work focusses on teacher education, research on teacher professional development, innovation in schools and within the university itself. The candidate (and then study) will also be embedded in ICO, the national research school for educational research.
We are looking for candidates that meet the following requirements:
- The research is at the crossroads of three disciplines: higher education, engineering and social sciences. Candidates should have interest or affinity with these three fields. We therefore look at MSc in educational sciences and/or subject didactics (e.g. STEM, philosophy); MSc in Engineering or MSc in broader social sciences, but with a tangible interest in the two other fields;
- Educational/curriculum design experience or the willingness to work one’s way in;
- Experience with research methodologies in education, preferably educational design research;
- Good communicative skills in English, both in speaking and in writing. Candidates should be prepared to prove their English language skills;
- A good understanding the Dutch language would be an added value.
The PhD candidate is expected to:
- Perform scientific research in the domain described;
- Collaborate with other researchers in this project;
- Publish results in leading scientific journals and conferences in the field;
- Assist in guiding (project-related) MSc and BSc graduation projects;
- Give input in ongoing redesign projects.
Conditions of employment
- full-time employment as a PhD-candidate for a period of 4 years;
- annually 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end of year allowance;
- support with the candidate’s personal development and career planning including courses, summer schools, conference visits, etc.;
- a broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, child care, moving expenses, savings schemes, coverage of costs of publishing the dissertation and excellent sports facilities).
Information and application
- Information about the USE program https://educationguide.tue.nl/programs/bachelor-college/use-learning-trajectory/
- For more information about the PhD position, the envisaged PhD trajectory, and the TU/e USE programme, please contact Dr. N. Nieveen, email: email@example.com; or Prof. dr. B. Pepin, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information about USE, please contact Dr. G. Bombaerts, email: email@example.com
- For information about employment conditions please contact P. Hertogs LLM, MSc (HR advisor), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The application should include the following:
- Cover letter explaining motivation and qualifications for the position;
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae, including list of publications if any;
- Short description of Master thesis and other relevant projects;
- Two references (scientific and work-related) would be an advantage;
- A copy or a link to the candidate’s Master thesis (if not yet completed, an explanation of the current situation is needed).
Selected candidates will be invited for an interview at TU/e.https://www.komma-ut.nl/vacatures/phd-position-dedicated-research-improving-education-user-societal-entrepreneurial-aspects-engineering/https://i1.wp.com/www.komma-ut.nl/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/tu_eindhoven.jpg?fit=200%2C200&ssl=1https://i1.wp.com/www.komma-ut.nl/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/tu_eindhoven.jpg?resize=150%2C150&ssl=1Vacaturesinstructional design,PhD,researchPosition PhD-student Departments Eindhoven School of Education FTE 1,0 Starting date as soon as possible (Reference number V32.2927) Job description The candidate will conduct research in relation to TU/e’s educational mission to educate engineers who are able to make significant and innovative contributions to society throughout their career. More precisely, the candidate will be...Dijana MuzhdekaDijana Muzhdekadijana.email@example.comAdministratorKomma